Established in 2018, the Amish and Plain Anabaptist Studies Association (APASA) is a network of scholars, plain people, professionals, and others interested in research about the Amish and plain Anabaptists. The goal of APASA is to provide a supportive context for plain Anabaptist research by offering platforms for communication.
To join, click here. Membership is on a calendar year basis from January 1 to December 31. New members may enroll at anytime and receive both issues of JAPAS and all other benefits through the remainder of the year.
Membership in APASA includes the following benefits:
- Reduced rate hardcopy subscription to the Journal of Amish and Plain Anabaptist Studies
- Invitation to participate and present at the annual APASA mini-conference.
- Access to the annual membership list
- Subscription to the APASA email announcements listserv
- Ability to contribute content to the Journal including submissions and book reviews
Subscription to JAPAS
JAPAS is released twice a year. APASA members can choose to receive a hardcopy subscription for 33% off the standard rate
Annual APASA Mini-Conference
The annual APASA mini-conference is held in conjunction with a larger conference, such as the Rural Sociological Society or Amish Health Conference. APASA members may submit proposals for a paper presentation or poster for the annual mini-conference. Members are also invited to a get-together before or after the conference, usually at an area restaurant.
While APASA charges no fee to participate, a registration and membership fee may be required by the umbrella organization. Furthermore, proposals must go through a double-review. Abstracts must be submitted to the APASA review committee; accepted abstracts will be submitted to the umbrella professional organization as a group for review.
Annual Membership List
A list of members is compiled annually and is available to all members. The list helps create awareness of where other plain Anabaptist scholars are located, what their interests are, and how to get in contact with them.
APASA Announcements Listserv Subscription
The announcements listserv helps APASA members keep up with developments in plain Anabaptist studies, from new publications to professional news and from calls for papers and proposals to newspaper articles about plain people. The moderator posts items, while subscribers help keep content fresh by submitting items of interest. This format functions as something between a listserv—where anyone can post anything without organization—and a newsletter—which is a lot of organized information coming out occasionally, and often too late.
The listserv categories include:
- [Publication]—Publication alerts: new issues of the Journal of Amish and Plain Anabaptist Studies, new articles and special issues in other journals, new theses / dissertations, and new books
- [Conference]—Upcoming conferences: conferences pertaining to or including special sessions about plain Anabaptists
- [Event]—Upcoming events: public talks, banquets, etc.
- [Call for papers]—Calls for papers: edited books, journals, conferences, or conference sessions
- [Call for proposals]—Calls for grant proposals
- [Professional news]—Membership news: changes of affiliations, promotions, career milestones, grants, and awards
- [Newsletter]—Newsletter releases: newsletters from institutions that are involved in Amish / plain Anabaptist studies
- [News]—Newspaper articles: select newspaper articles of broad interest
Contribute to JAPAS
JAPAS is a member-supported publication. As such, joining APASA confers the privilege of being able to submit articles and being the first line of contacts for book reviews and peer reviews. Authors who are submitting content for possible publication may join APASA at the time of submitting, although only the first author is required to be an APASA member.