Join the Amish and Plain Anabaptist Studies Association
SCROLL TO THE BOTTOM OF THE PAGE TO JOIN
Established in 2018, the Amish and Plain Anabaptist Studies Association (APASA) is a network of scholars, service providers, instructors, plain people, and others interested in the study of the Amish and plain Anabaptists. The goal of APASA is to provide a supportive context for plain Anabaptist research.
Membership is on a calendar year basis from January 1 to December 31. New members may enroll at anytime and receive both issues of JAPAS and all other benefits through the remainder of the year.
Membership in APASA includes the following benefits:
- Invitation to participate at the annual conference
- Subscription to the APASA email list, which alerts members to new publications, upcoming events, calls for papers, and more
- Ability to submit work to the association’s official journal, the Journal of Amish & Plain Anabaptist Studies
- Reduced rate on a print subscription to the association’s journal
- Association review and support of members’ grant proposals
- Affiliation with a collegiate group of scholars interested in collaborations, support for one another’s work, and advancements in knowledge.
Subscription to JAPAS
JAPAS is released twice a year. APASA members can choose to receive a hardcopy subscription for a reduced rate.
Annual APASA Mini-Conference
The annual APASA mini-conference is held either independently or in conjunction with another conference. APASA members may submit proposals for a paper presentation or poster for the annual mini-conference.
Meeting fees vary depending on venue and agreements with any umbrella sponsoring conferences. We work to keep costs affordable. Proposals and abstracts should be submitted to the APASA review committee. If applicable, accepted abstracts will then be submitted to the umbrella professional organization .
APASA Announcements Listserv Subscription
The announcements listserv helps APASA members keep up with developments in plain Anabaptist studies, from new publications to professional news and from calls for papers and proposals to newspaper articles about plain people. The moderator posts items, while subscribers help keep content fresh by submitting items of interest. This format functions as something between a listserv—where anyone can post anything without organization—and a newsletter—which is a lot of organized information coming out occasionally and sometimes too late.
The listserv categories include:
- [Publication]—Publication alerts: new issues of the Journal of Amish and Plain Anabaptist Studies, new articles and special issues in other journals, new theses / dissertations, and new books
- [Conference]—Upcoming conferences: conferences pertaining to or including special sessions about plain Anabaptists
- [Event]—Upcoming events: public talks, banquets, etc.
- [Call for papers]—Calls for papers: edited books, journals, conferences, or conference sessions
- [Call for proposals]—Calls for grant proposals
- [Professional news]—Membership news: changes of affiliations, promotions, career milestones, grants, and awards
- [Newsletter]—Newsletter releases: newsletters from institutions that are involved in Amish / plain Anabaptist studies
- [News]—Newspaper articles: select newspaper articles of broad interest
Contribute to JAPAS
JAPAS is a member-supported publication. As such, joining APASA allows members to submit articles. Members are also the first line of contacts for book reviews and peer reviews. Authors who are submitting content for possible publication may join APASA at the time of submitting, although only one author is required to be a member.
Completing Payment for your Annual Membership
First fill out the membership form: JOIN APASA OR RENEW MEMBERSHIP
Only fill this form out once; you will only receive confirmation on the webpage, not an email confirmation. If you have any troubles, email the treasurer: email@example.com
After filling out the form, send payment to complete your order
1-year membership: Professional + JAPAS hard copy subscription ($50)
1-year membership: Professional ($30)
1-year membership: Student or underemployed ($15)
(1) Login at www.paypal.com,
(2) Go to "Send & Request"
(3) Send to firstname.lastname@example.org
(4) Choose "Sending to a friend." If you select "Paying for an item or service," please add $5 to your payment
(5) Select amount and include a note with your name
(6) No fee is added with PayPal/bank funds; credit cards have a small fee. If this is your first time using PayPal, you will need to set up a link to your bank or credit card.
(1) Make check payable to "Cory Anderson"
(2) Indicate your membership selection and "for APASA" as a note
(3) Mail to:
Cory Anderson, APASA
7010 State Route 241
Millersburg, OH 44654
When payment is received, we will email an acknowledgement. Email email@example.com with questions or problems.